FROM THE DIRECTOR
Comments, Clarifications and Frequently Asked Questions
Following is a list of the Administrative positions and the main responsibilities associated with the position
Library Director – The Executive Director of the policies adopted by the Board and has sole charge of the administration of the Library under the direction and review of the Board, attends all Board and Committee meetings, speaks on all subjects but has no vote
The Library Director is responsible for the:
- Care of the building and equipment during library hours including appointing qualified staff to act in his/her absence
- The employment and direction of the staff,
- The efficiency of the library service to the public
- The accuracy of the records
- The reliability of his/her accounts and statements
- Oversight of the selection and purchase of Library materials
- The enforcement of the rules
- The operation of the Library under the financial conditions set forth in the annual budget
- Keeping a record of, and submitting a monthly report of the operations of the Library including a list of all major accessions to the various departments
- Making recommendations that will promote the Library’s efficiency
- The hiring and dismissal of any employee
- Liaison with the media, the Library System, the automation consortium and the governing bodies within the district
- Chief FOIA Officer
Assistant Director – The Assistant Director assumes the Library Director’s duties in his/her absence, attends all meetings of the Board and speaks on all matters that are job related. He/she is also the Circulation Department Manager the duties of which will be outlined in a subsequent listing.
The Assistant Director is responsible for the:
- Administration of the Library including but not limited to assisting in the interviewing of applicants, preparing budgets, updating Bylaws and Personnel Policies
- Documentation and implementation of all personnel issues as follows: attendance, scheduling, continuing education, staff events calendar mileage verification, preparing surveys, and testing job applicants
- Is able to perform all Library clerk duties.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- Must be Notary Public and Deputy Registrar certified.
- Attends job appropriate workshops, classes and meetings
Administrative Assistant – The Administrative Assistant performs all secretarial duties including but not limited to posting meeting notices, publishing notices, mail duties, correspondence, screens administrative phone calls, filing, meeting room calendar, paying bills and banking.
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for the following:
- Maintains periodical subscriptions and renewals
- Equipment/Supplies/Building Maintenance Manager – updates inventory, orders supplies, supervises maintenance and cleaning staff, secures bids for new equipment and services, insurance liaison
- Prepares election packets
- Records in-house statistics
- Personnel Department duties: payroll and posting federal and state employee notices
- Attends job appropriate workshops, classes, and meetings