FROM THE DIRECTOR
Comments, Clarifications and Frequently Asked Questions
The Manhattan-Elwood Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our continuing policy to recruit and employ the best qualified individuals without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status or sex as defined and required by federal and state laws and regulations. Equal employment opportunity applies to all personnel actions such as recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotions, opportunities for training, transfers and termination. No preference is given to the hiring of friends or current employees or Library Trustees though referrals are welcome.
- Must be able to hear, comprehend, and respond to the library user both in person and in telephone conversations.
- Must have visual ability to see computer screen, read call numbers on books, and bar code labels.
- Must be skilled in the operation of the computer, typewriter, calculator, and keyboards.
- Must be able to lift and carry bags of books or boxes weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Must be able to reach a minimum height of greater than 60”.
- Must be able to walk distances of more than 50 feet within the building to shelve and retrieve materials.
- May be required to stand for extended periods of time during work period.
- Must be able to push a cart of books weighing greater than 100 pounds.
- Must be able to bend to reach lower shelves.
- Must pass typing, spelling, numerical order and alphabetical order tests.
- Must be able to type at least 45 words per minute for most positions, or at the discretion of the Library Director.
- Must be available to work days, evenings, and/or weekends as required.
- Must attend meetings, classes, and semi-annual mandatory in-service workshop as deemed necessary by Library Director or Department Managers.
- Must be able to substitute upon request as deemed necessary by Library Director or Department Managers.